Monday, November 3, 2014

Getting Uncomfortable: Lessons and rewards from going out of my comfort zone


This past week I was asked to be a guest on the Linwood Jackson Radio Show here in Delaware.  I was so flattered by this opportunity, but immediately told Mr. Jackson that I had to think it over.

Why?

I have never been comfortable with public speaking. I am a performer, but typically lose my focus when I know I am being listened to and am expected to speak eloquently without a script. The thought of doing this made me nervous, and was definitely outside my comfort zone.
My wonderful husband always challenges me to do things that I am not comfortable with (when they are to better myself). He would not let me say no to this opportunity, and I am grateful to him for always pushing me. As I get older and am trying to mold my life the way I see fit, I have had to begin learning to do things outside of my comfort zone to get there. I've learned that I do not get ahead by staying my own "comfort bubble" as I call it. And it IS hard. But when you have goals and dreams you do what it takes.

So with a deep breath, I accepted the spot on the radio show. I was anxious about it, so I began to think of things he could possibly ask me, and prepared answers to those questions. I had to make sure that I was organized in my mind. This calmed me down a bit.

The day came and I was ready. NERVOUS! But ready. I steadied my breathing and spoke positive thoughts to myself. I CAN do this. I AM confidant! etc etc.

This whole time leading up to this, I was worried I wouldn't sound like everyone expected. I was worried that I had to manufacture this presence that was not really me. But when I went in, I was just myself and that was enough in my book. Was I perfect at it? No. There were definitely things that I needed to work on. But I did it. And more importantly, I LEARNED from it and I grew as a person, as an artist and as an entrepreneur. I walked out feeling accomplished, brave and successful. And what is great is that I said to myself "phew, now I will know how to do this even BETTER next time." 


There are so many times recently that I had to step out of my comfort zone. Sharing my weight loss transformation story, talking about my experience with cancer openly, starting a new job, moving to a new place, exploring new avenues with my singing and my online magazine for singers, reaching out to people I didn't know to ask questions and seek advice. Now that I think about it, you know what? A pattern is developing. The MORE I step out of my comfort zone, the MORE I am attaining my goals! I have had a few successes lately, and I believe that is the DIRECT result of getting uncomfortable.

Nothing changes if nothing changes. This concept can apply to anything. For example, if you are trying to lose weight and you workout and eat the same way for months and months without success you will continue to not have success. But if you need to step out of your comfort zone and CHANGE if up, you will! Try a new program, research a new way of eating, push a little harder. It is scary, but it results in getting you to your goal.

 Looking back, how COULD I even think to say no?? My goals are to inspire young singers to be the best they can be and to implore others to take control of their health and fitness. If I expect the people I work with on a daily basis to step up and start a fitness program that is out of their comfort zone, than I can certainly expect the same of myself and get my butt to the radio station and talk about myself for 20 minutes. :)

So get up. Get uncomfortable. Get successful. Share your story with us here.


No comments:

Post a Comment